Huevos Rancheros is a traditional Mexican breakfast of baked eggs cooked in a tomato stew. Perfect at any time of day; this campfire-friendly recipe is simple and delicious. Whether you’re cooking in your kitchen or out on a campsite this dish will set you up for the day!
You will need:
- Large, deep, pan with a lid
- Glug of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 red pepper (or a jar of chargrilled peppers)
- 1 chilli (fresh, frozen or flaked is fine)
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tin of kidney or mixed beans
- 4 eggs
- 4 tortillas
- 30g cheddar
Optional but tasty:
- 1 avocado
- 1 fresh lime
- Into your pan throw the onions, garlic and peppers with a good glug of olive oil. Leave to soften for 5 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, the strained beans and the chilli. Place the lid on the pan and leave to gently simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Now would be a good time to raid your herb garden or spice rack. If your have some parsley, corriander, cumin or paprika, this is a great addition. When the stew is adequately reduced it should be thick and flavoursome.
- Now use a spoon to create 4 wells in the pan. Into these crack your eggs as speedily as you can so they all get roughly the same amount of time to cook. Place the lid on the pan and leave to stew for around 4-5minutes, depending on how runny you like your eggs.
- Once the eggs are in and the lid is back on; drape the tortillas over the top of the pan to warm.
- As an optional extra you can whip up a quick avocado smash to dollop on top: Peel, de-stone and mash the avocado in a bowl. Add a squeeze of lime juice, a pinch of salt and some chopped chilli for extra zing.
- Serve the dish by placing the tortillas first onto a plate or bowl. Spoon on an egg and the tomato stew. Next add a sprinkling of cheese and a dollop of avocado. Enjoy!
This recipe was devised and written for Alde Garden Campsite.
Recipe: One Pot Heuvos Rancheros